Your Help Needed
Instead of me whining about one thing or the other today, I’m asking for a little bit of action:
If you read my blog you may have noticed the comments of fellow blogger Marsha here from time to time. Marsha’s brother-in-law is a documentary filmmaker and he and his interpreter were arrested by the Nigerian government two days ago. He has been temporarily released each night (his interpreter has not) with orders to return in the morning. The blog set up to keep the information flowing can be found here.
If you have a few minutes today, please make one or two phone calls on his behalf. Here is the most recent Action Alert:
We would like everyone to contact their congressional representatives to raise political pressure on this issue.
Phone Script for Elected Officials:
* As a constituent and a concerned citizen, I wanted to bring your attention to the news that American journalist Andrew Berends has been arrested by the Nigerian government while working on a documentary.
* Nigeria enjoys the highest level of diplomatic relations with the United States, and for an American journalist to be detained without representation and subjected to coercive questioning is both highly inappropriate and illegal.
* We ask you to make known your awareness and concern about this matter, contact your colleagues, and work to ensure the good treatment and speedy release of Andrew Berends and his interpreter from Nigerian custody.
We would like everyone to call both their own local representatives and also the two Senators from New York State. When talking with New York reps, please add that Andrew is a New Yorker.
The contact information for NY senators Clinton and Schumer is:
* Senator Charles Schumer (D- NY) 202-224-6542
* Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D- NY) 202-224-4451
Your local representatives contacts may be found here.
Please forward this call to action to anyone you think could help by making a call to their representatives and the NY senators.
Let’s make the Internet work for good, people!